Cefixime is classified as a cephalosporin antibiotic; it works by stopping the spread of sensitive bacteria. Cefixime can also be referred to as a broad spectrum antibiotic because it neutralizes many types of bacteria for example strep throat bacteria. This drug is also prescribed for the following illnesses and infections;
• Middle ear infections
• Urinary tract infections
• Sexually transmitted diseases i.e. gonorrhea
• Whether the drug is prescribed by a medical expert or picked up at a pharmacy, the dosage of Cefixime depends on the age of the patient and the nature of the infection. For example, an adult suffering from urinary tract infection can order Cefixime 400 mg for use once a day or 200 mg two times a day.
• Patients from six months who can be categorized as pediatric patients have a recommended dose of 4 mg per kg two times a day or 8 mg per kg once a day.
You should only use Cefixime as directed by a physician; always read the label on the medicine for the actual dosage.
• You can take this drug with or without food. Those who experience stomach upsets after taking the drug are advised to take it with food to cut the chances of stomach irritations.
• You should take Cefixime for the full duration of treatment; if you stop because you feel better after a few days the infection will not clear up completely.
• Never take two doses at the same time if you missed a dose; just skip the missed dose and go back to your normal schedule.
It is important to tell your physician or pharmacist of any medical conditions that you may have as some may react negatively with Cefixime. Do not take Cefixime if;
• You are planning to get pregnant, you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
• If you are taking medication or dietary supplements
• If you experience allergies from foods, medicines or other substances
• If you experience severe allergic reactions such as dizziness, and severe rash among others to a penicillin or a beta-lactam antibiotic.
• If you have blood clotting or bleeding problems, poor nutrition, diarrhea, stomach problems or liver problems.
• If you have kidney problems or you are on dialysis treatment.
Common Side Effects
Cefixime has low incidences of side effects but just like any other drug, it can cause side effects. Common side effects are;
• Skin rashes and itching
All these side effects should subside once treatment is stopped.
It is important to follow the instructions of your medical expert. Your doctor will give you complete information on the benefits and risks of using Cefixime.